Preventing H. pylori infection
It's not clear how H. pylori spreads, but there's some evidence that it could be transmitted from person to person or through contaminated food and water. You can take steps to protect yourself from infections, such as H. pylori, by frequently washing your hands with soap and water and by eating foods that have been cooked completely.
May. 14, 2014
- Dickson BA, et al. Classification and diagnosis of gastritis and gastropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-helicobacter-pylori-infection. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Gastritis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastritis/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Guidelines for the management of dyspepsia. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-dyspepsia/. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Jensen PJ, et al. Acute and chronic gastritis due to Helicobacter pylori. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- H. pylori and peptic ulcers. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Mapel D, et al. The epidemiology, diagnosis, and cost of dyspepsia and Helicobacter pylori gastritis: A case-control analysis in the southwestern United States. Helicobacter. 2013;18:54.
- FDA drug safety communication: Possible increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist and spine with the use of proton pump inhibitors. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213206.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.