Left untreated, gastritis may lead to stomach ulcers and stomach bleeding. Rarely, some forms of chronic gastritis may increase your risk of stomach cancer, especially if you have extensive thinning of the stomach lining and changes in the lining's cells.
Tell your doctor if your signs and symptoms aren't improving despite treatment for gastritis.
May 14, 2014
- Dickson BA, et al. Classification and diagnosis of gastritis and gastropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- American College of Gastroenterology guideline on the management of Helicobacter pylori infection. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-helicobacter-pylori-infection. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Gastritis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastritis/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Guidelines for the management of dyspepsia. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-dyspepsia/. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Jensen PJ, et al. Acute and chronic gastritis due to Helicobacter pylori. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- H. pylori and peptic ulcers. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.
- Mapel D, et al. The epidemiology, diagnosis, and cost of dyspepsia and Helicobacter pylori gastritis: A case-control analysis in the southwestern United States. Helicobacter. 2013;18:54.
- FDA drug safety communication: Possible increased risk of fractures of the hip, wrist and spine with the use of proton pump inhibitors. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213206.htm. Accessed Nov. 3, 2013.