Gangrene can lead to scarring or the need for reconstructive surgery. Sometimes, the amount of tissue death is so extensive that a body part, such as your foot, may need to be removed.
Gangrene that is infected with bacteria can spread quickly to other organs and may be fatal if left untreated.
Aug. 10, 2011
- Neschis DG, et al. Clinical manifestations and evaluation of chronic critical limb ischemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index/html. Accessed May 16, 2011.
- Park H, et al. Complex wounds and their management. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2010;90:1181.
- Helviz Y, et al. Bad to worse. The American Journal of Medicine. 2011;124:215.
- Sepsis and septic shock. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec06/ch068/ch068a.html. Accessed May 15, 2011.
- Stevens DL, et al. Clostridial myonecrosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed May 16, 2011.
- Gas gangrene. American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/skin/pages/Gas-Gangrene.aspx. Accessed May 16, 2011.
- Mechem C, et al. Frostbite. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index/html. Accessed May 15, 2011.
- Stevens DL. Necrotizing infections of the skin and fascia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index/html. Accessed May 16, 2011.
- Intestinal obstruction. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec02/ch011/ch011h.html. Accessed May 26, 2011.
- Mandell JE, et al. Necrotizing fasciitis, Fournier's gangrene In: Mandell JE, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?sid=1163686964&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..00043-6--s0035&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=251414141-4. Accessed May 23, 2011.
- Mechem C, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index/html. Accessed May 20, 2011.
- Fujiwara Y, et al. Beneficial effects of foot care nursing for people with diabetes mellitus: An uncontrolled before and after intervention study. Journal of Advanced Nursing. In press. Accessed May 26, 2011.
- Saavedra A, et al. Soft-tissue infections: Erysipelas, cellulitis, gangrenous cellulitis, and myonecrosis. In: Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2995017&searchStr=gangrene#2995017. Accessed May 27, 2011.
- Coumadin (prescribing information). New York, N.Y.: Bristol-Myers Squibb; 2005. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/009218s101lbl.pdf. Accessed May 31, 2011.