A food allergy can be challenging and a source of ongoing concern. Having a good source of information and the opportunity to discuss the condition with others who share your concerns can be very helpful.
A number of Internet sites and nonprofit organizations offer information and forums for discussing food allergies. Some are specifically for parents of children with food allergies. The Food Allergy Research & Education website can direct you to support groups and events in your area.
Many people find it helpful to talk to others who are dealing with the same challenges.
Feb. 12, 2014
- Gupta RS, et al. Childhood food allergies: Current diagnosis, treatment, and management strategies. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2013;88:512.
- Ferri FF. Practical Guide to the Care of the Medical Patient. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Boyce JA, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States: Report of the NIAID-sponsored expert panel. Bethesda, Md.: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/clinical/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Food allergy: An overview. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodallergy/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Nowak-Wegrzyn A. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of oral allergy syndrome (pollen-food allergy syndrome). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Food allergy: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/food-allergy.aspx. Accessed Sept. 10, 2013.
- Sicherer SH, et al. Advances in allergic skin disease, anaphylaxis, and hypersensitivity reactions to foods, drugs, and insects in 2012. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013;131:55.
- Wisniewski JA, et al. Alternative and complementary treatment for food allergy. Immunology Clinics of North America. 2012;32:135.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.