You might find relief from symptoms of fibrocystic breasts through one of these home remedies:
- Wear a firm support bra, fitted by a professional, if possible.
- Wear a sports bra during exercise and while sleeping, especially when your breasts are extra sensitive.
- Limit or avoid caffeine, a dietary change many women report as helpful, although medical studies of caffeine's effect on breast pain and other premenstrual symptoms have been inconclusive.
- Decrease the fat in your diet, which may decrease breast pain or discomfort associated with fibrocystic breasts.
- Reduce or stop taking hormone therapy if you're postmenopausal — but be sure to talk to your doctor before making any change in your prescription medications.
- Use a heating pad or warm water bottle to relieve your discomfort.
Aug. 23, 2017
- Fibrocystic breast disease. First consult. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Breast pain. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Non-cancerous breast conditions. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/healthy/findcancerearly/womenshealth/non-cancerousbreastconditions/non-cancerous-breast-conditions-fibrocystic-changes. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Mastalgia (breast pain). Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology-and-obstetrics/breast-disorders/mastalgia-breast-pain. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Sabel MS. Overview of benign breast disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Sabel MS. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of a palpable breast mass. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Understanding breast changes: A health guide for women. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.gov/types/breast/understanding-breast-changes. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Jacobs LJ. Management of benign breast disease. In: Current Surgical Therapy. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Golshan M, et al. Breast pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Balleyguiera C, et al. Breast pain and imaging. Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging. 2015;96:1009.
- Rikers A. Breast Disease: Comprehensive Management. 2015;96:1009.
- Vitamin E fact sheet for consumers. National Institutes of Health. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminE-Consumer/. Accessed Jan. 26, 2016.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 8, 2016.