To diagnose female sexual dysfunction, your doctor will:
- Discuss your sexual and medical history. You might be uneasy talking with your doctor about such personal matters, but your sexuality is a key part of your well-being. The more forthcoming you can be about your sexual history and current problems, the better your chances of finding an effective approach to treating them.
- Perform a pelvic exam. During the exam, your doctor checks for physical changes that affect your sexual enjoyment, such as thinning of your genital tissues, decreased skin elasticity, scarring or pain.
Your doctor may also refer you to a counselor or therapist specializing in sexual and relationship problems.
Aug. 28, 2015
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Epidemiology, risk factors, and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 4, 2015.
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 4, 2015.
- McCool ME, et al. Prevalence and predictors of female sexual dysfunction: A protocol for a systematic review. Systematic Reviews. 2014;3:1.
- Fact sheet: Female sexual dysfunction. Hormone Health Network. http://www.hormone.org/questions-and-answers/2012/female-sexual-dysfunction. Accessed July 4, 2015.
- Effective treatments for sexual problems. The North American Menopause Society. http://www.menopause.org/for-women/sexual-health-menopause-online/effective-treatments-for-sexual-problems. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Overview of female sexual function and dysfunction. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology-and-obstetrics/sexual-dysfunction-in-women/overview-of-female-sexual-function-and-dysfunction. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Khamba B, et al. The efficacy of treatment of sexual dysfunction secondary to antidepressants. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2013;19:862.
- Laughlin-Tommaso, SK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 16, 2015.
- FDA approves first treatment for sexual desire disorder. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm458734.htm. Accessed Aug. 18, 2015.
- Addyi (prescribing information). Raleigh, N.C.: Sprout Pharmaceuticals Inc.; 2015. http://www.addyi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/addyi-pi-8-18-15-FINAL2.pdf. Accessed Aug. 18, 2015.