Persistent, recurrent problems with sexual response, desire, orgasm or pain — that distress you or strain your relationship with your partner — are known medically as female sexual dysfunction.
Many women experience problems with sexual function at some point. Female sexual dysfunction can occur at any stage of life. It can be lifelong or be acquired later in life. It can occur only in certain sexual situations or in all sexual situations.
Sexual response involves a complex interplay of physiology, emotions, experiences, beliefs, lifestyle and relationships. Disruption of any component can affect sexual desire, arousal or satisfaction, and treatment often involves more than one approach.
Aug. 28, 2015
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Epidemiology, risk factors, and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 4, 2015.
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 4, 2015.
- McCool ME, et al. Prevalence and predictors of female sexual dysfunction: A protocol for a systematic review. Systematic Reviews. 2014;3:1.
- Fact sheet: Female sexual dysfunction. Hormone Health Network. http://www.hormone.org/questions-and-answers/2012/female-sexual-dysfunction. Accessed July 4, 2015.
- Effective treatments for sexual problems. The North American Menopause Society. http://www.menopause.org/for-women/sexual-health-menopause-online/effective-treatments-for-sexual-problems. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Overview of female sexual function and dysfunction. Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gynecology-and-obstetrics/sexual-dysfunction-in-women/overview-of-female-sexual-function-and-dysfunction. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Khamba B, et al. The efficacy of treatment of sexual dysfunction secondary to antidepressants. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2013;19:862.
- Laughlin-Tommaso, SK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 16, 2015.
- FDA approves first treatment for sexual desire disorder. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm458734.htm. Accessed Aug. 18, 2015.
- Addyi (prescribing information). Raleigh, N.C.: Sprout Pharmaceuticals Inc.; 2015. http://www.addyi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/addyi-pi-8-18-15-FINAL2.pdf. Accessed Aug. 18, 2015.