Most adults experience fecal incontinence only during an occasional bout of diarrhea. But some people have recurring or chronic fecal incontinence. They:
- Can't control the passage of gas or stools, which may be liquid or solid, from their bowels
- May not be able to make it to the toilet in time
For some people, including children, fecal incontinence is a relatively minor problem, limited to occasional soiling of their underwear. For others, the condition can be devastating due to a complete lack of bowel control.
Fecal incontinence may be accompanied by other bowel problems, such as:
- Gas and bloating
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you or your child develops fecal incontinence. Often, new mothers and other adults are reluctant to tell their doctors about fecal incontinence. But treatments are available, and the sooner you are evaluated, the sooner you may find some relief from your symptoms.
Nov. 06, 2012
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Oct. 2, 2012.
- Fecal incontinence. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/fecalincontinence/index.aspx. Accessed Oct. 3, 2012.
- Bharucha AE. Recent advances in functional anorectal disorders. Current Gastroenterology Report. 2011;13:316.
- Whitehead WE, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of pelvic floor disorders: What's new and what's to do. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:1231.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..C2009-0-42832-0--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-1604-7&uniqId=327451096-2. Accessed Oct. 3, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.