Erectile dysfunction symptoms might include persistent:
- Trouble getting an erection
- Trouble keeping an erection
- Reduced sexual desire
When to see a doctor
A family doctor is a good place to start when you have erectile problems. See your doctor if:
May 25, 2016
- You have concerns about your erections or you're experiencing other sexual problems, including ejaculatory dysfunction, such as premature or delayed ejaculation
- You have diabetes, heart disease or another known health condition that might be linked to erectile dysfunction
- You have other symptoms along with erectile dysfunction
- Cronenwett JL, et al. Rutherford's Vascular Surgery. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier. 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Shamloul R, et al. Erectile dysfunction. The Lancet. 2013;381:153.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Erectile dysfunction. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/ED/. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 30, 2014.
- Erectile dysfunction. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 1, 2014.
- Hidden risks of erectile dysfunction "treatments" sold online. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048386.htm. Accessed Nov. 2, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 24, 2014.
- Broderick GA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Nov. 12, 2014.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Nov. 2, 2014.
- Trost LW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 14, 2014.
- Cunningham GR, et al. Treatment of male sexual dysfunction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 8, 2015.