The best way to prevent erectile dysfunction is to make healthy lifestyle choices and to manage any existing health conditions. For example:
May 21, 2015
- Work with your doctor to manage diabetes, heart disease or other chronic health conditions.
- See your doctor for regular checkups and medical screening tests.
- Stop smoking, limit or avoid alcohol, and don't use illegal drugs.
- Exercise regularly.
- Take steps to reduce stress.
- Get help for anxiety, depression or other mental health concerns.
- Cronenwett JL, et al. Rutherford's Vascular Surgery. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier. 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Shamloul R, et al. Erectile dysfunction. The Lancet. 2013;381:153.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Erectile dysfunction. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/ED/. Accessed Oct. 28, 2014.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 30, 2014.
- Erectile dysfunction. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 1, 2014.
- Hidden risks of erectile dysfunction "treatments" sold online. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048386.htm. Accessed Nov. 2, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 24, 2014.
- Broderick GA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Nov. 12, 2014.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz. Nov. 2, 2014.
- Trost LW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 14, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.