Conditions that can increase your risk of eosinophilic esophagitis include:
Jun. 19, 2014
- Climate. Living in a cold or dry climate.
- Season. May be more likely diagnosed between the spring and fall, probably because levels of pollen and other allergens are higher and people are more prone to be outdoors.
- Sex. More common in males than in females.
- Family history. If family members have eosinophilic esophagitis, you have a greater chance of being diagnosed.
- Allergies and asthma. If you have food or other allergies, or asthma, you are more likely to be diagnosed.
- Age. Originally thought to be a childhood disease, but now is known to be common in adults as well. However, the symptoms differ somewhat.
- Bonus PAL, et al. Pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
- Dellon ES, et al. ACG clinical guideline: Evidenced based approach to the diagnosis and management of esophageal eosinophilia and eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE). The American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;108:679.
- Feldman M., et al. Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com.Accessed Jan. 18, 2014.
- Liacouras CA, et al. Eosinophilic esophagitis: Updated consensus recommendations for children and adults. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2011;128:3.
- Fell JME. Recognition, assessment and management of eosinophilic oesophagitis. Archives of Disease in Childhood. 2013;98:702.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2014.
- Gorospe EC, et al. New diagnostic and therapeutic frontiers in eosinophilic esophagitis. Minerva gastroenterologica e dietologica. 2013;59:59.
- Medical Edge from Mayo Clinic. Hard to Swallow — EOE. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014. http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-edge/. Accessed March 9, 2014.
- Molina-Infante J, et al. Review article: Proton pump inhibitor therapy for suspected eosinophilic oesophagitis. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2013;37:1157.
- AskMayoExpert. Eosinophilic esophagitis (EE). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Eosinophilic esophagitis. American Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/related-conditions/eosinophilic-esophagitis.aspx. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
- Alexander JA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March, 2014.
- Hirano I. Dilation in eosinophilic esophagitis: To do or not to do? Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2010;71:713.
- Lucendo AJ, et al. Empiric 6-food elimination diet induced and maintained prolonged remission in patients with adult eosinophilic esophagitis: A prospective study on the food cause of the disease. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013;131:797.
- Katzka DA. The skinny on eosinophilic esophagitis. Gastroenterology. 2013;145:1186.
- Hurrell JM, et al. Prevalence of esophageal eosinophilia varies by climate zone in the United States. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2012;107:698.
- Dellon ES. Diagnosis and management of eosinophilic esophagitis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012;10:1066.
- Safe use of complementary health products and practices. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/safety. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Fass R. Alternative therapeutic approaches to chronic proton pump inhibitor. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2012;10:338.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 10, 2012.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2013-2014. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed March 9, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.