An enlarged liver is one that's bigger than normal. The liver is a large, football-shaped organ found in the upper right portion of your abdomen. The medical term for enlarged liver is hepatomegaly (hep-uh-to-MEG-uh-le).
Enlarged liver isn't a disease. It's a sign of an underlying problem, such as liver disease, congestive heart failure or cancer.
Treatment for enlarged liver involves identifying and controlling the underlying cause of the condition.
April 14, 2012
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00043-4--s0450&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&sid=1264123271&uniqId=316059410-4#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..00043-4--s0450. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7.00148-2&isbn=978-1-4377-1604-7&sid=1264125672&uniqId=316059410-4#4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..00148-2. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Wolf AD, et al. Hepatomegaly in neonates and children. Pediatrics in Review. 2000;21:303.
- Managing your medications. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/mym. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Seeff LB. Herbal hepatoxicity. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2007;11:577.
- Talwani R, et al. Infectious diseases and the liver. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2011;15:111.
- Liver health and wellness. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/liverhealth. Accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Nguyen D, et al. Noninvasive assessment of liver fibrosis. Hepatology. 2011;53:2107.
- Ehman RL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 1, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.