The exact cause of atopic dermatitis (eczema) is unknown, but it's likely due to a combination of dry, irritable skin with a malfunction in the body's immune system. Stress and other emotional disorders can worsen atopic dermatitis, but they don't cause it.
Most experts believe atopic dermatitis has a genetic basis. It has been thought to be connected to asthma and hay fever, but that theory is being questioned. Not all people with atopic dermatitis have asthma or hay fever, and not all people with asthma or hay fever develop atopic dermatitis, but these diseases do seem to be present together in families of those affected.
Aug. 23, 2011
- Weston WL, et al. Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Weston WL, et al. Treatment of atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- Eczema/atopic dermatitis. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/public/Publications/pamphlets/EczemaAtopicDermatitis.htm. Accessed May 3, 2011.
- What is atopic dermatitis? National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/dermatitis/ffdermatitis.htm. Accessed May 3, 2011.
- Habif TP. Atopic dermatitis. In: Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do? about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9. X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 24, 2011.
- Zeppa L, et al. Atopic dermatitis in adults. Dermatitis. 2011;22:40.
- Atopic dermatitis: Possible complications. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/complications.html. Accessed May 2, 2011.
- Spergel JM. Management of severe refractory atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed April 21, 2011.