Ebstein's anomaly is a rare heart defect that's present at birth (congenital). In Ebstein's anomaly, your tricuspid valve — the valve between the chambers on the right side of your heart — doesn't work properly. Blood leaks back through the valve, making your heart work less efficiently. Ebstein's anomaly may also lead to enlargement of the heart or heart failure.
If you have no signs or symptoms associated with Ebstein's anomaly, careful monitoring of your heart may be all that's necessary. If signs and symptoms bother you, or if the heart is enlarging or becoming weaker, treatment for Ebstein's anomaly may be necessary. Treatment options include medications and surgery.
Apr. 25, 2013
- Attenhofer JCH, et al. Ebstein's anomaly. Circulation. 2007;115:277.
- Fuster V, ed., et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Crawford MH, ed., et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Cardiology. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3649722. Accessed March 12, 2013.
- Silversides CK, et al. Canadian cardiovascular society 2009 consensus conference on the management of adults with congenital heart disease: Outflow tract obstruction, coarctation of the aorta, tetralogy of Fallot, Ebstein anomaly and Marfan's syndrome. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2010;26;e80.
- Zhao W, et al. Pregnancy outcomes in women with Ebstein's anomaly. Archives of Gynecology and Oncology. 2012;286:881.
- Dearani JA, et al. Surgical advances in the treatment of adults with congenital heart disease. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2009;21:565.
- Attenhofer Jost CH, et al. Outcome of cardiac surgery in patients 50 years of age or older with Ebstein anomaly. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2012;59;2101.
- Vogel M, et al. Ebstein's malformation of the tricuspid valve: Short-term outcomes of the "Cone Procedure" versus conventional surgery. Congenital Heart Disease. 2012;7:50.
- U.S. News and World Report Best Hospitals: Cardiology & Heart Surgery. U.S. News and World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cardiology-and-heart-surgery. Accessed March 13, 2013.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2013.