Dystonia has no cure, but you can do a number of things to minimize its effects:
- Sensory tricks to reduce spasms. Touching certain parts of your body may cause spasms to stop temporarily.
- Stress reduction. Try to avoid stressful situations because stress tends to make your symptoms worse.
- Heat or cold. Applying heat or cold can help ease muscle pain.
Living with dystonia can be difficult and frustrating. Your body might not always move as you would like, and you may be uncomfortable in social situations. You and your family might find it helpful to talk to a therapist or join a support group.
Nov. 25, 2015
- Comella C. Classification and evaluation of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Flint PW, ed. Neurologic disorders of the larynx. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Jinnah HA, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of dystonia. Neurologic Clinics. 2015;33:77.
- Comella C. Treatment of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Frontera WR, et al., eds. Cervical dystonia. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Essential blepharospasm. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier;; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Khan J, et al. Oromandibular dystonia: Differential diagnosis and management. Journal of the American Dental Association. 2015;146:690.
- AskMayoExpert. Cervical dystonia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Ferri FF. Neurology. In: Ferri's Practical Guide: Fast Facts for Patient Care. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Prudenta CN, et al. Dystonia as a network disorder: What is the role of the cerebellum? Neuroscience. 2014;260:23.
- Dystonias fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dystonias/detail_dystonias.htm. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Mills KA, et al. Neuromodulation for dystonia: Target and patient selection. Neurosurgery Clinics of North America. 2014;25:59.
- Yoga. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/yoga. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 18, 2015.