To diagnose dystonia, your doctor will start with a medical history and physical examination.
To determine if underlying conditions are causing your symptoms, your doctor might recommend:
- Blood or urine tests. These tests can reveal signs of toxins or of other conditions.
- MRI or CT scan. These imaging tests can identify abnormalities in your brain, such as tumors, lesions or evidence of a stroke.
- Electromyography (EMG). This test measures the electrical activity within muscles.
Nov. 25, 2015
- Comella C. Classification and evaluation of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Flint PW, ed. Neurologic disorders of the larynx. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Jinnah HA, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of dystonia. Neurologic Clinics. 2015;33:77.
- Comella C. Treatment of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Frontera WR, et al., eds. Cervical dystonia. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Essential blepharospasm. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier;; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Khan J, et al. Oromandibular dystonia: Differential diagnosis and management. Journal of the American Dental Association. 2015;146:690.
- AskMayoExpert. Cervical dystonia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Ferri FF. Neurology. In: Ferri's Practical Guide: Fast Facts for Patient Care. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Prudenta CN, et al. Dystonia as a network disorder: What is the role of the cerebellum? Neuroscience. 2014;260:23.
- Dystonias fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dystonias/detail_dystonias.htm. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Mills KA, et al. Neuromodulation for dystonia: Target and patient selection. Neurosurgery Clinics of North America. 2014;25:59.
- Yoga. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/yoga. Accessed Sept. 30, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 18, 2015.