- Experience. Mayo Clinic gastrointestinal specialists diagnose and care for hundreds of people with diverticulitis each year. Mayo Clinic also has extensive experience with minimally invasive (laparoscopic) and robotic surgery options.
- Research advances. Researchers at Mayo Clinic regularly conduct studies to better understand diverticular disease and to improve your treatment options.
- Coordinated care. Specialists in digestive diseases, liver disease, colon and rectal surgery and other specialties work together to diagnose your problem and recommend the best treatment approach. Doctor visits, testing, and treatment are all available in one convenient location and can be completed in a few days.
- Rapid recovery. Mayo Clinic doctors rely primarily on minimally invasive surgical methods which lessen pain, improve outcomes, and enable you to return home in as little as two days after surgery.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
May. 21, 2011
- Diverticulosis and diverticulitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diverticulosis/diverticulosis.pdf. Accessed March 24, 2011.
- Touzios JG, et al. Diverticulosis and acute diverticulitis. Gastroenterology Clinic of North America. 2009;38:513.
- Jacobs DO. Clinical practice: Diverticulitis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2007;357:2057.
- Strate LL, et al. Nut, corn, and popcorn consumption and the incidence of diverticular disease. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2008;300:907.
- Diverticulitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/sec02/ch019/ch019c.html. Accessed March 24, 2011.
- Narula N, et al. Role of probiotics in management of diverticular disease. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2010;25:1827.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.