The best treatment for diaper rash is to keep your baby's skin as clean and dry as possible. If your baby's diaper rash persists despite home treatment, your doctor may prescribe:
- A mild hydrocortisone (steroid) cream
- An antifungal cream, if your baby has a fungal infection
- Topical or oral antibiotics, if your baby has a bacterial infection
Use creams or ointments with steroids only if your baby's pediatrician or dermatologist recommends them — strong steroids or frequent use can lead to additional problems.
Diaper rashes usually require several days to improve, and the rash may come back repeatedly. If the rash persists despite prescription treatment, your doctor may recommend that your baby see a specialist in skin conditions (dermatologist).
May 08, 2015
- What can I do if my baby gets diaper rash? American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/diapers-clothing/pages/Diaper-Rash-Solution.aspx. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Diaper dermatitis (pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Horii KA, et al. Overview of diaper dermatitis in infants and children. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Buttaravoli P, et al. Diaper dermatitis. In: Minor Emergencies. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012.
- Klunk C, et al. An update on diaper dermatitis. Clinics in Dermatology. 2014;32:477.
- Farahani LA, et al. Comparison of the effect of human milk and topical hydrocortisone 1 percent on diaper dermatitis. Pediatric Dermatology. 2013;30:725.
- Gozen D, et al. Diaper dermatitis care of newborns: Human breast milk or barrier cream. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2014;23:515. www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Hajbaghery AM, et al. Shampoo-clay heals diaper rash faster than calendula officinalis. Nurse Midwifery Studies. 2014;3:e14180.
- Calendula. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Diaper rash. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Ravanfar P, et al. Diaper dermatitis: A review and update. Current Opinions in Pediatrics. 2012;24:472.
- Borkowski S. Diaper rash care and management. Pediatric Nursing. 2004;30:467.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 20, 2015.