Diaper rash is characterized by the following:
- Skin signs. Diaper rash is marked by red, tender-looking skin in the diaper region — buttocks, thighs and genitals.
- Changes in your baby's disposition. You may notice your baby seems more uncomfortable than usual, especially during diaper changes. A baby with a diaper rash often fusses or cries when the diaper area is washed or touched.
When to see a doctor
If your baby's skin doesn't improve after a few days of home treatment, talk with your doctor. Sometimes, you'll need a prescription medication to treat diaper rash.
Have your child examined if the rash:
May 08, 2015
- Is severe or unusual
- Gets worse despite home treatment
- Bleeds, itches or oozes
- Causes burning or pain with urination or a bowel movement
- Is accompanied by a fever
- What can I do if my baby gets diaper rash? American Academy of Pediatrics. http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/diapers-clothing/pages/Diaper-Rash-Solution.aspx. Accessed March 12, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Diaper dermatitis (pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Horii KA, et al. Overview of diaper dermatitis in infants and children. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 17, 2015.
- Buttaravoli P, et al. Diaper dermatitis. In: Minor Emergencies. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012.
- Klunk C, et al. An update on diaper dermatitis. Clinics in Dermatology. 2014;32:477.
- Farahani LA, et al. Comparison of the effect of human milk and topical hydrocortisone 1 percent on diaper dermatitis. Pediatric Dermatology. 2013;30:725.
- Gozen D, et al. Diaper dermatitis care of newborns: Human breast milk or barrier cream. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2014;23:515. www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Hajbaghery AM, et al. Shampoo-clay heals diaper rash faster than calendula officinalis. Nurse Midwifery Studies. 2014;3:e14180.
- Calendula. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Diaper rash. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed March 18, 2015.
- Ravanfar P, et al. Diaper dermatitis: A review and update. Current Opinions in Pediatrics. 2012;24:472.
- Borkowski S. Diaper rash care and management. Pediatric Nursing. 2004;30:467.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 20, 2015.