Diabetic neuropathy is a type of nerve damage that can occur if you have diabetes. High blood sugar can injure nerve fibers throughout your body, but diabetic neuropathy most often damages nerves in your legs and feet.
Depending on the affected nerves, symptoms of diabetic neuropathy can range from pain and numbness in your extremities to problems with your digestive system, urinary tract, blood vessels and heart. For some people, these symptoms are mild; for others, diabetic neuropathy can be painful, disabling and even fatal.
Diabetic neuropathy is a common serious complication of diabetes. Yet you can often prevent diabetic neuropathy or slow its progress with tight blood sugar control and a healthy lifestyle.
Feb. 24, 2015
- Diabetic neuropathies: The nerve damage of diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/index.aspx. Accessed Dec. 17, 2014.
- Neuropathy (nerve damage). The American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/neuropathy/. Accessed Dec. 17, 2014.
- Steps to prevent or delay nerve damage. The American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/neuropathy/steps-to-prevent-or-delay.html. Accessed Dec. 17, 2014.
- Kidney disease (neuropathy). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/kidney-disease-nephropathy.html. Accessed Dec. 17, 2014.
- Amato AA, et al. Peripheral neuropathy. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Dec. 17, 2014.
- Feldman EL, et al. Treatment of diabetic neuropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 17, 2014.
- Feldman EL, et al. Patient information: Diabetic neuropathy (beyond the basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 22, 2014.
- High blood pressure (hypertension). The American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/high-blood-pressure-hypertension.html. Accessed Dec. 22, 2014.
- Checking your blood glucose. The American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html. Accessed Dec. 23, 2014.
- Castro MR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 3, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.