Diabetic ketoacidosis is life-threatening. If you develop mild signs and symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.
Call 911 or your local emergency number if:
- You can't reach your doctor
- Your symptoms are getting worse
- Your symptoms are already severe
A medical provider who sees you for possible diabetic ketoacidosis will need answers to these questions as quickly as possible:
Aug. 21, 2015
- What are your signs and symptoms?
- When did these signs and symptoms develop? Are they getting worse?
- Have you been diagnosed with diabetes?
- Have you recently checked your blood sugar level?
- Have you recently checked your ketone level?
- Have you lost your appetite?
- Can you keep fluids down?
- Are you having trouble breathing?
- Do you have chest pain?
- Have you had a recent illness or infection?
- Have you had recent stress or trauma?
- Have you recently used alcohol or recreational drugs?
- How closely have you been following your diabetes treatment plan?
- How well would you say your diabetes has been managed just before these symptoms?
- Ketoacidosis (DKA). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ketoacidosis-dka.html. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). Merck Manuel Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/diabetes-mellitus-and-disorders-of-carbohydrate-metabolism/diabetic-ketoacidosis-dka. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Kitabchi AE, et al. Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state in adults: Clinical features, evaluation and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Kitabchi AE, et al. Diabetic ketoacidosis and hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state in adults: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.
- Jeffries CA, et al. Preventing diabetic ketoacidosis. Pediatric Clinics of North America. 2015;62:857.
- Checking for ketones. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-for-ketones.html. Accessed Aug. 2, 2015.