Avoiding dry skin may be one factor in helping you prevent future bouts of dermatitis. These tips can help you minimize the drying effects of bathing on your skin
Jan. 02, 2015
- Take shorter baths or showers. Limit your baths and showers to 10 to 15 minutes. And use warm, rather than hot, water. Bath oil also may be helpful.
- Use nonsoap cleansers or gentle soaps. Choose fragrance-free nonsoap cleansers or mild soaps. Some soaps can dry your skin.
- Dry yourself carefully. After bathing, brush your skin rapidly with the palms of your hands, or gently pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
- Moisturize your skin. While your skin is still damp, seal in moisture with an oil or cream. Try different products to find one that works for you. Ideally, the best one for you will be safe, effective, affordable and unscented.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=682. Accessed March 24, 2014.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=392. Accessed March 24, 2014.
- Eichenfield LF, et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis: Section 1. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;70:338.
- Eichenfield LF, et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis: Section 2. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;71:116.
- Sidbury R, et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis: Section 3. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;71:327.
- Pride HB, et al. What's new in pediatric dermatology? Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2013;68:899.e1.
- Bovine cartilage. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Rice bran. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 10, 2013.
- Atopic dermatitis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disorders. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Atopic_Dermatitis/default.asp. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Wong S, et al. Efficacy and safety of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) baths in patients with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in Malaysia. Journal of Dermatology. 2013;40:874.
- Ibler KS, et al. Hand eczema: Prevalence and risk factors of hand eczema in a population of 2,274 health care workers. Contact Dermatitis. 2012;67:200.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 7, 2014.
- Pizzorno JE, et al. Textbook of Natural Medicine. 4th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 20, 2014.
- Diphenhydramine. MedlinePlus. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682539.html. Accessed Nov. 17, 2014.