There's no sure way to prevent depression. However, these strategies may help.
July 07, 2016
- Take steps to control stress, to increase your resilience and boost your self-esteem.
- Reach out to family and friends, especially in times of crisis, to help you weather rough spells.
- Get treatment at the earliest sign of a problem to help prevent depression from worsening.
- Consider getting long-term maintenance treatment to help prevent a relapse of symptoms.
- Depressive disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed June 5, 2015.
- Depression. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml. Accessed June 6, 2015.
- Depression. National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Depression/Overview. Accessed June 6, 2015.
- Lyness JM. Unipolar depression in adults: Assessment and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 7, 2015.
- Ciechanowski P. Unipolar major depression in adults: Choosing initial treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 7, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 17, 2015.
- Bipolar and related disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed June 7, 2015.
- Ravindran AV, et al. Complementary and alternative therapies as add-on to pharmacotherapy for mood and anxiety disorders: A systematic review. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2013;150:707.
- Marchand WR. Mindfulness-based stress reduction, mindfulness-based cognitive therapy, and Zen meditation for depression, anxiety, pain, and psychological distress. Journal of Psychiatric Practice. 2012;18:233.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of depression. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/(X(1)S(sfvi05ehv0kkun55qwgkix55))/ce/CECourse.aspx?cs=MAYO&pm=5&s=nd&pc=09-30&searchid=51946815#keywordanchor. Accessed June 7, 2015.
- Raglio A, et al. Effects of music and music therapy on mood in neurological patients. World Journal of Psychiatry. 2015;5:68.
- FYI: Understanding depression and effective treatment. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/understanding-depression.aspx. Accessed June 5, 2015.
- Uttley L, et al. Systematic review and economic modelling of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of art therapy among people with non-psychotic mental health disorders. Health Technology Assessment. 2015;19:1.
- Research report: Psychiatry and psychology, 2014-2015. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc0700-mc0799/mc0710-11.pdf. Accessed June 5, 2015.
- Viibryd (prescribing information). Cincinnati, OH.: Forest Pharmaceuticals; 2015. http://www.viibryd.com/. Accessed June 7, 2015.
- Stewart D, et al. Risks of antidepressants during pregnancy: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 8, 2015.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 11, 2015.
- Hoban CL, et al. A comparison of patterns of spontaneous adverse drug reaction reporting with St. John's wort and fluoxetine during the period 2000-2013. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 2015;42:747.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 1, 2015.