There's no cure for cyclic vomiting syndrome, so treatment focuses on controlling the signs and symptoms. You or your child may be prescribed:
- Anti-nausea drugs
- Medications that suppress stomach acid
The same types of medications used for migraines can sometimes help stop or even prevent episodes of cyclic vomiting. These medications may be recommended for people whose episodes are frequent and long-lasting.
Research indicates that almost half the people with cyclic vomiting syndrome also have depression or anxiety. But the extent to which depression and anxiety cause cyclic vomiting or result from cyclic vomiting isn't clear. Your child's doctor or yours may recommend behavioral therapy to help with any depression or anxiety.
Apr. 19, 2013
Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Choung RS, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome and functional vomiting in adults: association with cannabinoid use in males. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2012;24:20.
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.aspx. Accessed Feb. 18, 2013.
- Kumar N, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS): Is there a difference based on onset of symptoms — pediatric versus adult? BMC Gastroenterology. 2012;12:52.
- Drumm BR, et al. Cyclical vomiting syndrome in children: A prospective study. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2012;24:922.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Feb. 18, 2013.
- Hejazi RA, et al. Review article: Cyclic vomiting syndrome in adults - rediscovering and redefining an old entity. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2011;34:263.
- AskMayoExpert. When should patients with nausea and vomiting be referred for subspecialty evaluation? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9112783. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Slutsker B, et al. Breaking the cycle: Cognitive behavioral therapy and biofeedback training in a case of cyclic vomiting syndrome. Psychology, Health & Medicine. 2010;15:625.
- Boles RG. High degree of efficacy in the treatment of cyclic vomiting syndrome with combined co-enzyme Q10, L-carnitine and amitriptyline, a case series. BMC Neurology. 2011;11:102.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed March 3, 2013.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 4, 2013.