Cyclic vomiting syndrome can be difficult to diagnose. There's no specific test that will confirm the diagnosis, and vomiting is a sign of many diseases and disorders that must first be ruled out.
The doctor will start by asking about your child's or your medical history and conducting a physical exam.
After that, the doctor may recommend:
April 19, 2013
- Imaging studies — such as endoscopy, CT scan or magnetic resonance enterography — to check for blockages in the digestive system or signs of other digestive conditions
- Motility tests to monitor the movement of food through your digestive system and to check for digestive disorders
- Laboratory tests to check for thyroid problems and other metabolic conditions
- MRI to check for a brain tumor and other central nervous system disorders
Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Choung RS, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome and functional vomiting in adults: association with cannabinoid use in males. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2012;24:20.
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.aspx. Accessed Feb. 18, 2013.
- Kumar N, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS): Is there a difference based on onset of symptoms — pediatric versus adult? BMC Gastroenterology. 2012;12:52.
- Drumm BR, et al. Cyclical vomiting syndrome in children: A prospective study. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2012;24:922.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Feb. 18, 2013.
- Hejazi RA, et al. Review article: Cyclic vomiting syndrome in adults - rediscovering and redefining an old entity. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2011;34:263.
- AskMayoExpert. When should patients with nausea and vomiting be referred for subspecialty evaluation? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9112783. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Slutsker B, et al. Breaking the cycle: Cognitive behavioral therapy and biofeedback training in a case of cyclic vomiting syndrome. Psychology, Health & Medicine. 2010;15:625.
- Boles RG. High degree of efficacy in the treatment of cyclic vomiting syndrome with combined co-enzyme Q10, L-carnitine and amitriptyline, a case series. BMC Neurology. 2011;11:102.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed March 3, 2013.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 4, 2013.