Lifestyle changes can help control the signs and symptoms of cyclic vomiting syndrome. People with cyclic vomiting syndrome generally need to get adequate sleep. Once vomiting begins, it may help to stay in bed and sleep in a dark, quiet room.
When the vomiting phase has stopped, it's very important to drink water and replace lost electrolytes. Some people may feel well enough to begin eating a normal diet soon after they stop vomiting. But if you don't or your child doesn't feel like eating right away, you might start with clear liquids and then gradually add solid food.
If vomiting episodes are triggered by stress or excitement, try during a symptom-free interval to find ways to reduce stress and stay calm. Eating three small meals and three snacks daily, instead of three large meals, also may help.
April 19, 2013
Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Choung RS, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome and functional vomiting in adults: association with cannabinoid use in males. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2012;24:20.
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.aspx. Accessed Feb. 18, 2013.
- Kumar N, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome (CVS): Is there a difference based on onset of symptoms — pediatric versus adult? BMC Gastroenterology. 2012;12:52.
- Drumm BR, et al. Cyclical vomiting syndrome in children: A prospective study. Neurogastroenterology & Motility. 2012;24:922.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Feb. 18, 2013.
- Hejazi RA, et al. Review article: Cyclic vomiting syndrome in adults - rediscovering and redefining an old entity. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2011;34:263.
- AskMayoExpert. When should patients with nausea and vomiting be referred for subspecialty evaluation? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9112783. Accessed Feb. 15, 2013.
- Slutsker B, et al. Breaking the cycle: Cognitive behavioral therapy and biofeedback training in a case of cyclic vomiting syndrome. Psychology, Health & Medicine. 2010;15:625.
- Boles RG. High degree of efficacy in the treatment of cyclic vomiting syndrome with combined co-enzyme Q10, L-carnitine and amitriptyline, a case series. BMC Neurology. 2011;11:102.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed March 3, 2013.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 4, 2013.