If you don't receive prompt treatment for Cushing syndrome, other complications may occur, such as:
- Bone loss (osteoporosis), which can result in unusual bone fractures, such as rib fractures and fractures of the bones in the feet
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Frequent or unusual infections
- Loss of muscle mass and strength
When the cause of Cushing syndrome is a pituitary tumor (Cushing disease), it can sometimes lead to other problems, such as interfering with the production of other hormones controlled by the pituitary.
March 28, 2013
- Stratakis CA. Cushing syndrome in pediatrics. Endocrinology Metabolism Clinics of North America. 2012;41:793.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Guaraldi F, et al. Cushing syndrome: Maybe not so uncommon of an endocrine disease. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2012;25:199.
- Mazziotti G, et al. Diabetes in Cushing syndrome: Basic and clinical aspects. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2011;22:499.
- Nieman LK. Overview of the treatment of Cushing's syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 1, 2013.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Cushing's syndrome. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/cushings/cushings.aspx. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Nieman LK. Causes and pathophysiology of Cushing's syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 1, 2013.
- The Surgeon General's report on bone health and osteoporosis: What it means to you. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/bone/SGR/surgeon_generals_report.asp. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 24, 2013.
- FDA approves Korlym for patients with endogenous Cushing's syndrome. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm292462.htm. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.