Conjoined twins can be diagnosed using standard ultrasound as early as the first trimester. More-detailed ultrasounds and echocardiograms can be used about halfway through pregnancy to better determine the extent of the twins' connection and functioning of their organs. False-positive results can occur before 10 weeks, however, when identical twins who share an amniotic sac (monoamniotic twins) may appear conjoined.
If an ultrasound detects conjoined twins, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan may be done. It can provide greater detail about where the conjoined twins are connected and which organs they share.
Apr. 10, 2013
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Wen XR, et al. Thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twins: Impact of ultrasound assessment on successful surgical separation. Clinical Imaging. 2013;37:138.
- Mandy GT. Neonatal outcome, complications, and management of multiple births. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Jackson OA, et al. Conjoined twin separation: Lessons learned. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;129:956.
- Chen CP, et al. Conjoined twins detected in the first trimester: A review. Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;50:424.
- Rhodes JL, et al. Preoperative planning for the separation of omphalopagus conjoined twins The role of a multicomponent medical model. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2013;24:175.
- Mutchinik OM, et al. Conjoined twins: A worldwide collaborative epidemiological study of the International Clearinghouse for Birth Defects Surveillance and Research. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics. 2011;157:274.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Chasen ST, et al. Twin pregnancy: Prenatal issues. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Sharma D, et al. Cephalothoracopagus janiceps asymmetros twins: Antenatal sonographic diagnosis. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound. 2013;00:1.
- Rios LT, et al. Prenatal diagnosis and postnatal findings of cephalothoracopagus janiceps disymmetros: A case report. Case Reports in Medicine. 2012;00:1.
- Roque H, et al. Monoamniotic twin pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2013.