Few things are harder than to learn that your unborn child has a life-threatening condition. In the case of conjoined twins, this is doubly difficult — not only because there are two babies involved but also because the children who survive may face tremendous obstacles. Parents in these situations must grapple with very difficult decisions.
Because conjoined twins are rare, it may be difficult to find resources for conjoined twins or their families. But there are a number of organizations that support parents who have lost children or who have children with grave physical conditions. Your medical team can put you in touch with some of these groups as well as with medical social workers and counselors.
April 10, 2013
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Wen XR, et al. Thoraco-omphalopagus conjoined twins: Impact of ultrasound assessment on successful surgical separation. Clinical Imaging. 2013;37:138.
- Mandy GT. Neonatal outcome, complications, and management of multiple births. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Jackson OA, et al. Conjoined twin separation: Lessons learned. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;129:956.
- Chen CP, et al. Conjoined twins detected in the first trimester: A review. Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;50:424.
- Rhodes JL, et al. Preoperative planning for the separation of omphalopagus conjoined twins The role of a multicomponent medical model. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2013;24:175.
- Mutchinik OM, et al. Conjoined twins: A worldwide collaborative epidemiological study of the International Clearinghouse for Birth Defects Surveillance and Research. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part C: Seminars in Medical Genetics. 2011;157:274.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Chasen ST, et al. Twin pregnancy: Prenatal issues. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Sharma D, et al. Cephalothoracopagus janiceps asymmetros twins: Antenatal sonographic diagnosis. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound. 2013;00:1.
- Rios LT, et al. Prenatal diagnosis and postnatal findings of cephalothoracopagus janiceps disymmetros: A case report. Case Reports in Medicine. 2012;00:1.
- Roque H, et al. Monoamniotic twin pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 10, 2013.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 15, 2013.