Exactly what causes someone to gamble compulsively isn't well understood. Like many problems, compulsive gambling may result from a combination of biological, genetic and environmental factors.
Feb. 12, 2014
- Gambling disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes%20from%20dsm-iv-tr%20to%20dsm-5.pdf. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Questions and answers about Gamblers Anonymous. Gamblers Anonymous. http://www.gamblersanonymous.org/ga/content/questions-answers-about-gamblers-anonymous. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Unwin BK, et al. Pathologic gambling. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 26, 2013.
- Schneekloth TD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 2, 2013.