Colic is a frustrating condition marked by predictable periods of significant distress in an otherwise well-fed, healthy baby. Babies with colic often cry more than three hours a day, three days a week for three weeks or longer. Nothing you do to try to help your baby during these episodes seems to bring any relief.
Colic can be distressing for both you and your baby. But take comfort: Colic is relatively short-lived. In a matter of weeks or months, the colic will end, and you'll have weathered one of the first major challenges of parenthood.
May. 14, 2014
- Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin. Management of infantile colic. BMJ. 2013;347:1.
- Turner TL, et al. Infantile colic: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Lucassen P. Colic in infants. Clinical Evidence. 2010;2:309.
- Turner TL, et al. Infantile colic: Management and outcome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- De Weerth C, et al. Intestinal microbiota of infants with colic: Development and specific signatures. Pediatrics. 2013;131:1.
- Sung V, et al. Probiotics to prevent or treat excessive infant crying: Systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics. 2013;167:1150.
- Savino F, et al. New treatments for infant colic. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2010: 22:791.
- Thomas DW, et al. Probiotics and prebiotics in pediatrics. Pediatrics. 2010;126:1217.
- Dobson D, et al. Manipulative therapy for infantile colic. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004796/abstract. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Posadski P, et al. Contamination and adulteration of herbal medicinal products (HMPs): An overview of systematic reviews. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2013;69:295.
- Perry R, et al. Nutritional supplements and other complementary medicines for infantile colic: A systematic review. Pediatrics. 2011;127:720.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.