Mayo researchers developed the Mayo Classification System for Traumatic Brain Injury Severity, which can help plan for clinical care following an injury.
See a list of publications by Mayo doctors on CTE at PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
April 20, 2016
- McKee AC, et al. The spectrum of disease in chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Brain. 2013:136;43.
- Evans RW. Concussion and mild traumatic brain injury. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2016.
- Concussion: Mayo's multidisciplinary approach. Mayo Clinic Neuroscience Update. 2013;10:2.
- Malec JF, et al. The Mayo classification system for traumatic brain injury severity. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2007;24:1417.
- Small GW, et al. PET scanning of brain tau in retired national football league players: Preliminary findings. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2013;21:138.
- Daroff RB, et al., eds. Frontal lobes. In: Encyclopedia of the Neurological Sciences. 2nd ed. Waltham, Mass.: Academic Press/Elsevier; 2014.
- Chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Alzheimer's Association. http://www.alz.org/dementia/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy-cte-symptoms.asp#symptoms. Accessed Feb. 1, 2016.
- Yi J, et al. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2013;12:28.
- Goldstein LE, et al. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy in blast-exposed military veterans and a blast neurotrauma mouse model. Science Translational Medicine.2012;4:1.
- Concussion: A fact sheet for coaches. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/health_safety/ConFactSheetcoaches.pdf. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Heads up: Concussion in youth sports. A fact sheet for Coaches. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/headsup/youthsports/coach.html. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- McCrory P, et al. Consensus statement on concussion in sport: The 4th international conference on concussion in sport held in Zurich, November 2012. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2013;216:e55.
- Concussion: What can I do to feel better after a concussion? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/feel_better.html. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Lakis N, et al. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy — Neuropathology in athletes and war veterans. Neurological Research. 2013;35:290.
- Stein TD, et al. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy: A spectrum of neuropathological changes following repetitive brain trauma in athletes and military personnel. Alzheimer's Research & Therapy. 2014;6:4.
- Report on the neuropathology of chronic traumatic encephalopathy workshop. National Institutes of Health. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_events/proceedings/201212_CTE_workshop_report.htm. Accessed Feb. 3, 2016.
- Hart J Jr, et al. Neuroimaging of cognitive dysfunction and depression in aging retired national football league players. JAMA Neurology. 2013;70:326.
- DeKosky ST, et al. Acute and chronic traumatic encephalopathies: Pathogenesis and biomarkers. Nature Reviews Neurology. 2013;9:192.
- Gavett BE, et al. Clinical appraisal of chronic traumatic encephalopathy: Current perspectives and future directions. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2011;24:525.
- Mez J, et al. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy: Where are we and where are we going? Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports. 2013;13:407.
- Home. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Accessed Feb. 1, 2016.
- Baugh CM, et al. Current understanding of chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Current Treatment Options in Neurology. 2014;16:306.
- Iverson GL, et al. A critical review of chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. 2015;56:276.
- Caregiver's guide to understanding dementia behaviors. Family Caregiver Alliance. https://www.caregiver.org/caregivers-guide-understanding-dementia-behaviors. Accessed Feb. 1, 2016.
- Traumatic brain injury. Family Caregiver Alliance. https://www.caregiver.org/traumatic-brain-injury. Accessed Feb. 1, 2016.
- Abreu MA, et al. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and former National Football League player suicides. The Sport Journal. Jan. 29, 2016. http://thesportjournal.org/article/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy-cte-and-former-national-football-league-player-suicides/. Accessed Jan. 29, 2016.
- Bieniek KF, et al. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy pathology in a neurodegenerative disorders brain bank. Acta Neuropathology. 2015;130:877.
- McKee AC, et al. The first NINDS/NIBIB consensus meeting to define neuropathological criteria for the diagnosis of chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Acta Neuropathology. 2016;131:75.
- Savica R, et al. High school football and risk of neurodegeneration: A community-based study. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2012;87:335.
- Brown AW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2016.
- Mielke MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2016.
- Savica R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2016.
- Graff-Radford J (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2016.
- Boeve BF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 25, 2016.