- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors have expertise and experience in treating Chiari malformation and other conditions. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors treat more than 80 people with Chiari malformation.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in brain and nervous system conditions (neurologists), brain and nervous system surgery (neurosurgeons), brain and nervous system conditions in children (pediatric neurologists and pediatric neurosurgeons), and other doctors work together to diagnose Chiari malformation and determine the most appropriate treatment for you.
- Efficient system. In Mayo Clinic's efficient system, doctors usually can diagnose your condition and develop a treatment plan within days, not weeks.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors conduct research in Chiari malformation and other neurological conditions and conduct clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Aug. 21, 2013
- Chiari malformation fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chiari/detail_chiari.htm. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Chiari malformation. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Chiari%20Malformation.aspx. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- Chiari malformations. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Ropper AH, et al. Adams & Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3637206&searchStr=arnold-chiari+malformation#3637206. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- Sekula RF, et al. The pathogenesis of Chiari I malformation and syringomyelia. Neurological Research. 2011;33:232.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 23, 2013.