No alternative treatments have been found to cure chemo brain. If you're interested in trying alternative treatments for your symptoms, discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. Alternative treatments for other types of memory problems are also touted as helpful for chemo brain, such as:
Feb. 02, 2013
- Ginkgo. Supplements containing ginkgo leaves have shown some promise in treating age-related memory changes in older adults, but more study is needed. Ginkgo supplements are generally safe, but they can interfere with some common medications, including blood thinners. Talk to your doctor before beginning ginkgo supplements.
- Vitamin E. Vitamin E may be beneficial for brain cells, but more study is needed. Vitamin E supplements are generally safe when taken in recommended doses, but they can interfere with common medications, including blood thinners and chemotherapy drugs. It may be easier and safer to choose foods that are high in vitamin E, such as vegetable oils and eggs.
- Asher A. Cognitive dysfunction among cancer survivors. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2011;90(suppl):S16.
- Phillips KM, et al. Cognitive functioning after cancer treatment. Cancer. 2012;118:1925.
- Myers JS. Chemotherapy-related cognitive impairment: The breast cancer experience. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2012;39:E31.
- Fardell JE, et al. Chemotherapy and cognitive impairment: Treatment options. Nature Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2011;90:366.
- Improving your concentration: Three key steps. CancerCare. http://www.cancercare.org/publications/71-improving_your_concentration_three_key_steps. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Combating chemobrain: Keeping your memory sharp. CancerCare. http://www.cancercare.org/publications/70-combating_chemobrain_keeping_your_memory_sharp. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Cognitive problems. Cancer.Net. http://www.cancer.net/all-about-cancer/treating-cancer/managing-side-effects/cognitive-problems. Accessed Jan. 2, 2013.
- Ginkgo. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Jan. 3, 2013.
- Vitamin E. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Jan. 3, 2013.
- DeVita VT Jr, et al. DeVita, Hellman, and Rosenberg's Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008:2751.
- Ganz PA. Cancer Survivorship: Today and Tomorrow. New York, N.Y.: Springer; 2007:59.
- Feuerstein M. Handbook of Cancer Survivorship. New York, N.Y.: Springer; 2007:287.
- Chang G, et al. Mental status changes after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Cancer. 2009;115:4625.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 5, 2013.