Burning mouth syndrome is the medical term for ongoing (chronic) or recurrent burning in the mouth without an obvious cause. The discomfort may affect your tongue, gums, lips, inside of your cheeks, roof of your mouth or widespread areas of your whole mouth. Burning mouth syndrome appears suddenly and can be severe, as if you scalded your mouth.
Unfortunately, the cause of burning mouth syndrome often can't be determined. Although that makes treatment more difficult, don't despair. By working closely with your health care team, you can often get burning mouth syndrome under better control.
Other names for burning mouth syndrome include scalded mouth syndrome, burning tongue syndrome, burning lips syndrome, stomatodynia and glossodynia.
Feb. 07, 2013
- Burning mouth syndrome. National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Topics/Burning/BurningMouthSyndrome.htm. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Garza I, et al. Central craniofacial pain. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 12, 2012.
- Burning mouth syndrome. The American Academy of Oral Medicine. http://www.aaom.com/patients/burning-mouth-syndrome. Accessed Feb. 1, 2013.
- Torgerson RR. Burning mouth syndrome. Dermatologic Therapy. 2010;23:291.
- Schiavone V, et al. Anxiety, depression, and pain in burning mouth syndrome. Headache. 2012;52:1019.
- Mendak-Ziólko M, et al. Evaluation of select neurophysiological, clinical and psychological tests for burning mouth syndrome. Oral Medicine. 2012;114:325.
- Klasser GD, et al. Management of burning mouth syndrome. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association. 2011;77:b151.
- Spanemberg JC, et al. Aetiology and therapeutics of burning mouth syndrome: An update. Gerodontology. 2012;29:84.
- Pigatto PD, et al. Burning mouth syndrome. SkinMed. 2012;10:134.
- Coping with chronic pain. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/chronic-pain.aspx. Accessed Nov. 13, 2012.
- Torgerson RR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 11, 2013.
- Davis MDP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 20, 2012.
- Steele JC, et al. Clinically relevant patch test results in patients with burning mouth syndrome. Dermatitis. 2012;23:61.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.