Although they don't always cause problems, bunions are permanent unless surgically corrected. Possible complications include:
Feb. 11, 2014
- Bursitis. This painful condition occurs when the small fluid-filled pads (bursae) that cushion bones, tendons and muscles near your joints become inflamed.
- Hammertoe. An abnormal bend that occurs in the middle joint of a toe, usually the toe next to your big toe, can cause pain and pressure.
- Metatarsalgia. This condition causes pain and inflammation in the ball of your foot.
- Bunions. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00155. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Bunions. American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/bunions.htm. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Ferrari J. Hallux valgus deformity (bunion). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 1, 2013.
- Usatine RP, et al. The Color Atlas of Family Medicine. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=8210081. Accessed Sept. 2, 2013.