In most people, bundle branch block doesn't cause any symptoms. Sometimes, people with the condition don't even know they have a bundle branch block.
For those people who do have signs and symptoms, they may include:
- Fainting (syncope)
- Feeling as if you're going to faint (presyncope)
When to see a doctor
If you've fainted, see your doctor to rule out any serious, underlying causes.
If you have heart disease, or if your doctor has already diagnosed you as having bundle branch block, ask your doctor how often you should have follow-up visits. You might want to carry a medical alert card that identifies you as having bundle branch block in case you're seen in an emergency by a doctor who isn't familiar with your medical history.
April 10, 2015
- Conduction disorders. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Conduction-Disorders_UCM_302046_Article.jsp. Accessed Feb. 22, 2015.
- Sauer WH. Left bundle branch block. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 22, 2015.
- Sauer WH. Right bundle branch block. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 22, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al. Electrocardiography. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 22, 2015.
- Bussink BE, et al. Right bundle branch block: Prevalence, risk factors, and outcome in the general population: Results from the Copenhagen City Heart Study. European Heart Journal. 2013;34:138.
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartFailure/Cardiac-Resynchronization-Therapy_UCM_452920_Article.jsp. Accessed Feb. 22, 2015.
- Mankad R (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 24, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.