Bruxism (BRUK-siz-um) is a condition in which you grind, gnash or clench your teeth. If you have bruxism, you may unconsciously clench your teeth together during the day, or clench or grind them at night (sleep bruxism).
Sleep bruxism is considered a sleep-related movement disorder. People who clench or grind their teeth (brux) during sleep are more likely to have other sleep disorders, such as snoring and pauses in breathing (sleep apnea).
Mild bruxism may not require treatment. However, in some people, bruxism can be frequent and severe enough to lead to jaw disorders, headaches, damaged teeth and other problems.
Because you may have sleep bruxism and be unaware of it until complications develop, it's important to know the signs and symptoms of bruxism and to seek regular dental care.
Jul. 22, 2014
- Teeth grinding. Mouth Healthy. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/t/teeth-grinding. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
- Feu D, et al. A systematic review of etiological and risk factors associated with bruxism. Journal of Orthodontics. 2013;40:163.
- Scrivani SJ, et al. Temporomandibular disorders in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
- Nowak AJ, et al. Oral habits and orofacial development in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
- What is bruxism? Academy of General Dentistry. http://www.knowyourteeth.com/infobites/abc/article/?abc=w&iid=292&aid=1137. Accessed Jan. 28, 2014.
- Kato T, et al. Sleep less and bite more: Sleep disorders associated with occlusal loads during sleep. Journal of Prosthodontic Research. 2013;57:69.
- Lobbezoo F, et al. Principles for the management of bruxism. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation. 2008;35:509.
- Golden, AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 10, 2013.
- Silber MH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 4, 2014.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 17, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.