If you suspect that you have brucellosis, you're likely to start by seeing your family doctor or a general practitioner. You may be referred to an infectious disease specialist.
A diagnosis of brucellosis depends on understanding if, how and when you were exposed to the bacteria that cause the disease. You can help your doctor by being prepared with as much information as possible.
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list of answers to the following questions:
- When did you first begin experiencing symptoms?
- Have you eaten raw (unpasteurized) dairy products, such as goat cheese?
- Does your job involve contact with animals or with animal tissues?
- Have you traveled outside the United States during the past year?
- Do you work in a lab where infectious organisms are present?
- Have you gone hunting recently?
What to expect from your doctor
During the physical exam, your doctor may:
Jan. 02, 2014
- Ask you to move your joints, to check for pain and stiffness
- Check your reflexes and the strength of your muscles
- Press on your abdomen to determine if organs are enlarged or tender
- Brucellosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/brucellosis/index.html. Accessed June 25, 2013.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed June 25, 2013.
- Galinska EM, et al. Brucellosis in humans — etiology, diagnostics, clinical forms. Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine. 2013;20:233.
- Yang X, et al. Progress in Brucella vaccine development. Frontiers in Biology. 2013;8:60.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=$eid&isbn=978-1-4557-0295-4&uniqId=398813857-1936. Accessed June 25, 2013.
- Safe minimum cooking temperatures. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html. Accessed July 3, 2013.
- Steckelberg JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 27, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.