You will likely initially seek treatment for a broken ankle or broken foot in an emergency room or urgent care clinic. If the pieces of broken bone aren't lined up properly for healing, you may be referred to a doctor specializing in orthopedic surgery.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
- Information about medical problems you've had
- Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
Apr. 24, 2014
- Was there a specific injury that triggered your symptoms?
- Did your symptoms come on suddenly?
- Have you injured your ankles or feet in the past?
- Have you recently begun or intensified an exercise program?
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Miller MD, et al. Essential Orthopaedics. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Ankle fractures (broken ankle). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00391. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Toe and forefoot fractures. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00165. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Stress fractures of the foot and ankle. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00379. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- DeWeber K. Overview of stress fractures. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor. 2014. 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.:Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Once is enough: A guide to preventing future fractures. NIH Osteoporosis and Bone Diseases National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/Fracture/. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Chen YT, et al. Update on stress fractures in female athletes: Epidemiology, treatment, and prevention. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2013;6:173.
- Rosenow EC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 17, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.