Symptoms associated with borderline personality disorder can be stressful and challenging for you and those around you. You may be aware that your emotions, thoughts and behaviors are self-destructive or damaging, yet you feel unable to manage them.
In addition to getting professional treatment, you can help manage and cope with your condition if you:
July 30, 2015
- Learn about the disorder so that you understand its causes and treatments
- Learn to recognize what may trigger angry outbursts or impulsive behavior
- Seek professional help and stick to your treatment plan — attend all therapy sessions and take medications as directed
- Work with your mental health provider to develop a plan for what to do the next time a crisis occurs
- Get treatment for related problems, such as substance misuse
- Consider involving people close to you in your treatment to help them understand and support you
- Manage intense emotions by practicing coping skills, such as the use of breathing techniques and mindfulness meditation
- Set limits and boundaries for yourself and others by learning how to appropriately express emotions in a manner that doesn't push others away or trigger abandonment or instability
- Don't make assumptions about what people are feeling or thinking about you
- Reach out to others with the disorder to share insights and experiences
- Build a support system of people who can understand and respect you
- Keep up a healthy lifestyle, such as eating a healthy diet, being physically active and engaging in social activities
- Don't blame yourself for the disorder, but recognize your responsibility to get it treated
- Personality disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Borderline personality disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/borderline-personality-disorder/index.shtml. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Silk KR. Borderline personality disorder: Epidemiology, clinical features, course, assessment, diagnosis, and differential diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Silk KR. Treatment of borderline personality disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Newlin E, et al. Personality disorders. Continuum: Lifelong Learning in Neurology. 2015;21:806.
- Gonzalez CA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 16, 2015.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 12, 2015.