Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Symptoms associated with borderline personality disorder can be stressful and challenging for you and those around you. You may be aware that your emotions, thoughts and behaviors are self-destructive or damaging, yet you feel unable to manage them.
In addition to getting professional treatment, you can help manage and cope with your condition if you:
July 30, 2015
- Learn about the disorder so that you understand its causes and treatments
- Learn to recognize what may trigger angry outbursts or impulsive behavior
- Seek professional help and stick to your treatment plan — attend all therapy sessions and take medications as directed
- Work with your mental health provider to develop a plan for what to do the next time a crisis occurs
- Get treatment for related problems, such as substance misuse
- Consider involving people close to you in your treatment to help them understand and support you
- Manage intense emotions by practicing coping skills, such as the use of breathing techniques and mindfulness meditation
- Set limits and boundaries for yourself and others by learning how to appropriately express emotions in a manner that doesn't push others away or trigger abandonment or instability
- Don't make assumptions about what people are feeling or thinking about you
- Reach out to others with the disorder to share insights and experiences
- Build a support system of people who can understand and respect you
- Keep up a healthy lifestyle, such as eating a healthy diet, being physically active and engaging in social activities
- Don't blame yourself for the disorder, but recognize your responsibility to get it treated
- Personality disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Borderline personality disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/borderline-personality-disorder/index.shtml. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Silk KR. Borderline personality disorder: Epidemiology, clinical features, course, assessment, diagnosis, and differential diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Silk KR. Treatment of borderline personality disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- Newlin E, et al. Personality disorders. Continuum: Lifelong Learning in Neurology. 2015;21:806.
- Gonzalez CA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 16, 2015.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 12, 2015.