Blepharitis symptoms and signs include:
- Watery eyes
- Red eyes
- A gritty, burning sensation in the eye
- Eyelids that appear greasy
- Itchy eyelids
- Red, swollen eyelids
- Flaking of the skin around the eyes
- Crusted eyelashes upon awakening
- Eyelid sticking
- More frequent blinking
- Sensitivity to light
- Eyelashes that grow abnormally (misdirected eyelashes)
- Loss of eyelashes
When to see a doctor
If you have blepharitis symptoms and signs that don't seem to be improving despite good hygiene — regular cleaning and care of the affected area — make an appointment with your doctor.
Mar. 27, 2012
- Preferred Practice Patterns Guidelines. Blepharitis — Limited Revision. San Francisco, Ca.: American Academy of Ophthalmology; 2011. http://one.aao.org/ce/practiceguidelines/ppp_content.aspx?cid=500cd9ca-173c-4c31-b6ea-a258e3549474. Accessed Dec. 23, 2011.
- Shtein RM. Blepharitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 23, 2011.
- Bernardes TF, et al. Blepharitis. Seminars in Ophthalmology. 2010;25:79.
- Facts about blepharitis. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/blepharitis/blepharitis.asp. Accessed Dec. 23, 2011.
- Blepharitis. American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/x4718.xml. Accessed Dec. 23, 2011.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., Dec. 31, 2011.