Mayo Clinic conducts clinical trials to improve the diagnosis and treatment of bipolar disorder. Some areas of research include:
- Genetics and medication. Mayo is a leader in pharmacogenomics research, the study of how genetic factors can predict a person's response to a medication. One focus of Mayo Clinic research is connecting specific genetic profiles with responses to specific antidepressant drugs used to treat bipolar disorder.
- Treatment options for children and teens. Mayo Clinic psychiatrists are working with other specialists to determine the biological basis of bipolar disorder in children and to identify better, safer and more-effective treatments for children and teens.
- Drug treatment options. Mayo Clinic scientists conduct research to understand and identify the neuroanatomical and molecular changes in bipolar disorder. Their goal is to develop better and more-targeted drug treatment options based on variations in brain-imaging patterns, brain metabolism, and genetic and epigenetic makeup.
Mayo Clinic is serving as the primary site for the established Individualized Medicine Biobank for Bipolar Disorder. This large-scale biobank of bipolar type I and II disorders is intended to serve as a resource for the bipolar research community.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors and researchers on bipolar disorder on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Feb. 15, 2017
- Reilly-Harrington NA et al. A tool to predict suicidal ideation and behavior in bipolar disorder: The Concise Health Risk Tracking Self-Report. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2016;192:212.
- Bipolar and related disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Bipolar disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder/index.shtml. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Bipolar disorder. National Institute of Mental Health. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder-tr-15-3679/index.shtml. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Bipolar disorder in children and teens. National Institute of Mental Health. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder-in-children-and-teens-qf-15-6380/index.shtml. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Bipolar disorder. National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Bipolar-Disorder. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Bipolar disorder. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Suppes T, et al. Bipolar disorder in adults: Clinical features. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Axelson D, et al. Pediatric bipolar disorder: Overview of choosing treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Birmaher B. Pediatric bipolar disorder: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and course. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 2, 2016.
- Picardi A, et al. Psychotherapy of mood disorders. Clinical Practice and Epidemiology in Mental Health. 2014;10:140.
- Fountoulakis KN, et al. The International College of Neuro-Psychopharmacology (CINP) treatment guidelines for bipolar disorder in adults (CINP-BP-2017), part 2: Review, grading of the evidence and a precise algorithm. International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. In press. http://ijnp.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2016/11/05/ijnp.pyw100.long. Accessed Dec. 6, 2016.
- Beyer JL, et al. Nutrition and bipolar depression. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2016;39:75.
- Qureshi NA, et al. Mood disorders and complementary and alternative medicine: A literature review. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 2013;9:639.
- Sansone RA, et al. Getting a knack for NAC: N-acetyl-cysteine. Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience. 2011;8:10.
- Sylvia LG, et al. Nutrient-based therapies for bipolar disorder: A systematic review. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics. 2013;82:10.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 27, 2016.
- Krieger CA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 4, 2017.
- Post RM. Bipolar disorder in adults: Choosing maintenance treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 4, 2016.
- Janicak PG. Bipolar disorder in adults and lithium: Pharmacology, administration, and side effects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 4, 2017.
- Stovall J. Bipolar disorder in adults: Pharmacotherapy for acute mania and hypomania. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 4, 2017.