Bile reflux can be difficult to distinguish from acid reflux. The signs and symptoms are similar, and the two conditions may occur at the same time. It isn't clear what role bile plays in reflux conditions.
Bile reflux signs and symptoms include:
- Upper abdominal pain that may be severe
- Frequent heartburn — a burning sensation in your chest that sometimes spreads to your throat, along with a sour taste in your mouth
- Vomiting a greenish-yellow fluid (bile)
- Occasionally, a cough or hoarseness
- Unintended weight loss
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you frequently experience symptoms of reflux, or if you're losing weight without trying.
If you've been diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) but aren't getting adequate relief from your medications, call your doctor. You may need additional treatment for bile reflux.
Mar. 14, 2012
- Mercer DW, Townsend CM, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/169271004-2/0/1565/453.html?tocnode=54738708&fromURL=453.html. Accessed Jan. 2, 2012.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/165017723-5/902729765/1389/357.html#4-u1.0-B1-4160-0245-6..50054-8--cesec51_2169. Accessed Jan. 2, 2012.
- Heartburn, gastroesophageal reflux (GER), and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gerd/. Accessed Dec. 31, 2011.
- Kiefer D. Gastroesophageal reflux disease. In: Rakel RE. Integrative Medicine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/165168078-5/903199144/1494/89.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2954-0..50046-6_2173. Accessed Jan. 2, 2012.
- Wang DH, et al. Aberrant epithelial-mesenchymal hedgehog signaling characterizes Barrett's metaplasia. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:1810.
- Richter JE. Role of the gastric refluxate in gastroesophageal reflux disease: acid, weak acid and bile. American Journal of the Medical Sciences. 2009;338:89.
- Yamada T, et al. Bile-acid-induced calcium signaling in mouse esophageal epithelial cells. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 2011;414:789.
- Cheng P, et al. Effects of refluxate pH values on duodenogastroesophageal reflux-induced esophageal adenocarcinoma. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2011;17:3060.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 15, 2012.