Daily soaking in warm water, several times a day, may be adequate to resolve an infected Bartholin's cyst or abscess.
After a surgical procedure to treat an infected cyst or abscess, soaking in warm water is particularly important. Sitz baths help to keep the area clean, ease discomfort and promote effective drainage of the cyst. Pain relievers also may be helpful.
Mar. 26, 2015
- Maldonado VA, et al. Benign vulvar tumors. Best Practice and Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2014;28:1088.
- Chen KT. Disorders of Bartholin's gland. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 11, 2015.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 11, 2015.
- Mayeaux EJ, et al. Vulvar procedures: Biopsy, Bartholin abscess treatment, and condyloma treatment. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America. 2013;40:759.
- Laughlin-Tommaso S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 15, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.