Preparing a list of questions will help you make the most of your time with your doctor. For bags under eyes, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What's likely causing my symptoms?
- Is my condition likely temporary or chronic?
- What treatment approach do you recommend, if any?
- What will the treatments cost? Does medical insurance cover these costs?
- What results can I expect?
- Can I do anything at home to improve my symptoms?
- What kind of follow-up, if any, should I expect?
Don't hesitate to ask other questions that occur to you.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, including:
Sept. 26, 2014
- When did you first notice the puffiness under your eyes?
- Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?
- What, if anything, seems to improve your symptoms?
- What, if anything, appears to worsen your symptoms?
- AskMayoExpert. Eyelid surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Eyelid surgery. American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. http://www.surgery.org/consumers/procedures/head/eyelid-surgery. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Yanoff M, ed., et al. Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Eyelid surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Neligan PC. Plastic Surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 4, 2014.
- Goldberg RA, et al. What causes eyelid bags? Analysis of 114 consecutive patients. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2005;115:1395.
- Brain basics: Understanding sleep. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/understanding_sleep.htm. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Goldberg DJ. Ablative laser surfacing for skin rejuvenation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 5, 2014.
- Bradley EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., July 22, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.