Signs and symptoms of autonomic neuropathy vary based on the nerves affected. They may include:
- Dizziness and fainting when standing caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure.
- Urinary problems, such as difficulty starting urination, incontinence, difficulty sensing a full bladder and inability to completely empty the bladder, which can lead to urinary tract infections.
- Sexual difficulties, including problems achieving or maintaining an erection (erectile dysfunction) or ejaculation problems in men and vaginal dryness, low libido and difficulty reaching orgasm in women.
- Difficulty digesting food, such as feeling full after a few bites of food, loss of appetite, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal bloating, nausea, vomiting, difficulty swallowing and heartburn, all due to changes in digestive function.
- Sweating abnormalities, such as sweating too much or too little, which affects the ability to regulate body temperature.
- Sluggish pupil reaction, making it difficult to adjust from light to dark and seeing well when driving at night.
- Exercise intolerance, which may occur if your heart rate stays the same instead of adjusting in response to your activity level.
When to see a doctor
Seek medical care promptly if you begin experiencing any of the signs and symptoms of autonomic neuropathy, particularly if you have diabetes and it's poorly controlled.
If you have type 2 diabetes, the American Diabetes Association (the Association) recommends annual autonomic neuropathy screening for people with type 2 diabetes as soon as you've received your diabetes diagnosis. For people with type 1 diabetes, the Association advises annual screening beginning five years after diagnosis.
June 06, 2015
- Gardner DG, et al. Pancreatic Hormones and Diabetes Mellitus. In: Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Callaghan BC, et al. Diabetic neuropathy: Clinical manifestations and current treatments. The Lancet Neurology. 2012;11:521. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Stevens MJ. Diabetic autonomic neuropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Tesfaye S, et al. Diabetic neuropathies: Update on definitions, diagnostic criteria, estimation of severity, and treatments. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2285. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Disorders of the Autonomic Nervous System. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Diabetic neuropathies: The nerve damage of diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Overview of the autonomic nervous system. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/autonomic-nervous-system/overview-of-the-autonomic-nervous-system. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Philips JC, et al. Squatting, a posture test for studying cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in diabetes. Diabetes & Metabolism. 2011;37:489.
- Bethanechol (prescribing information). Pomona, N.Y.: Barr Laboratories, Inc.; 2007. http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=80ee6156-18b8-45aa-9402-b40647173da8. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Detrol (prescribing information). New York, N.Y.: Pharmacia and Upjohn; 2012. http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=719. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Ditropan (prescribing information). Raritan, N.J.: Ortho McNeil Pharmaceuticals; 2011. http://www.janssenpharmaceuticalsinc.com/assets/ditropanxl.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Hirsch M, et al. Tricyclic and tetracyclic drugs: Pharmacology, administration, and side effects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Robinul and Robinul Forte (prescribing information). Atlanta, Ga.: Shionogi Pharma, Inc.; 2010. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/017558s053lbl.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Shakher J, et al. Update on the management of diabetic polyneuropathies. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy. 2011;4:289.
- Wang CP, et al. A single-blinded, randomized pilot study evaluating effects of electroacupuncture in diabetic patients with symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2008;7:833.
- Feldman, EL, et al. Treatment of diabetic neuropathy. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Rutkove SB. Overview of polyneuropathy. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Olshansky B. Upright tilt table testing in the evaluation of syncope. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Tesfaye S. Neuropathy in diabetes. Medicine. 2015;43:26. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Coon E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 14, 2015.