While certain inherited diseases that put you at risk of developing autonomic neuropathy can't be prevented, you can slow the onset or progression of symptoms by taking good care of your health in general and managing your medical conditions.
Follow your doctor's advice on healthy living to control diseases and conditions, which may include these recommendations:
June 06, 2015
- Control your blood sugar if you have diabetes.
- Seek treatment for alcoholism.
- Get appropriate treatment for any autoimmune disease.
- Take steps to prevent or control high blood pressure.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Stop smoking.
- Exercise regularly.
- Gardner DG, et al. Pancreatic Hormones and Diabetes Mellitus. In: Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Callaghan BC, et al. Diabetic neuropathy: Clinical manifestations and current treatments. The Lancet Neurology. 2012;11:521. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Stevens MJ. Diabetic autonomic neuropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Tesfaye S, et al. Diabetic neuropathies: Update on definitions, diagnostic criteria, estimation of severity, and treatments. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2285. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Disorders of the Autonomic Nervous System. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Diabetic neuropathies: The nerve damage of diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Overview of the autonomic nervous system. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/autonomic-nervous-system/overview-of-the-autonomic-nervous-system. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Philips JC, et al. Squatting, a posture test for studying cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in diabetes. Diabetes & Metabolism. 2011;37:489.
- Bethanechol (prescribing information). Pomona, N.Y.: Barr Laboratories, Inc.; 2007. http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=80ee6156-18b8-45aa-9402-b40647173da8. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Detrol (prescribing information). New York, N.Y.: Pharmacia and Upjohn; 2012. http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=719. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Ditropan (prescribing information). Raritan, N.J.: Ortho McNeil Pharmaceuticals; 2011. http://www.janssenpharmaceuticalsinc.com/assets/ditropanxl.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Hirsch M, et al. Tricyclic and tetracyclic drugs: Pharmacology, administration, and side effects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Robinul and Robinul Forte (prescribing information). Atlanta, Ga.: Shionogi Pharma, Inc.; 2010. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/017558s053lbl.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Shakher J, et al. Update on the management of diabetic polyneuropathies. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy. 2011;4:289.
- Wang CP, et al. A single-blinded, randomized pilot study evaluating effects of electroacupuncture in diabetic patients with symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2008;7:833.
- Feldman, EL, et al. Treatment of diabetic neuropathy. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Rutkove SB. Overview of polyneuropathy. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Olshansky B. Upright tilt table testing in the evaluation of syncope. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Tesfaye S. Neuropathy in diabetes. Medicine. 2015;43:26. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Coon E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 14, 2015.