Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Living with a chronic condition presents daily challenges. Some of these suggestions may make it easier for you to cope:
June 06, 2015
- Set priorities. Accomplish the most important tasks, such as paying bills or grocery shopping, and save less important tasks for another day. Stay active, but don't overdo it.
- Seek and accept help from friends and family. Having a support system and a positive attitude can help you cope with the challenges you face. Ask for or accept help when you need it. Don't shut yourself off from loved ones.
- Talk to a counselor or therapist. Depression and impotence are possible complications of autonomic neuropathy. Seek help from a counselor or therapist in addition to your primary care doctor to discuss possible treatments.
Consider joining a support group. Ask your doctor about support groups in your area. If there isn't a specific group for people with neuropathies, you may find that there's a support group for your underlying condition, such as diabetes.
Some people find it helpful to talk to other people who truly understand what they're going through. Support group members can offer camaraderie, as well as tips or tricks to make living with autonomic neuropathy easier.
- Gardner DG, et al. Pancreatic Hormones and Diabetes Mellitus. In: Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Callaghan BC, et al. Diabetic neuropathy: Clinical manifestations and current treatments. The Lancet Neurology. 2012;11:521. Accessed May 12, 2015.
- Stevens MJ. Diabetic autonomic neuropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Tesfaye S, et al. Diabetic neuropathies: Update on definitions, diagnostic criteria, estimation of severity, and treatments. Diabetes Care. 2010;33:2285. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Disorders of the Autonomic Nervous System. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Diabetic neuropathies: The nerve damage of diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Overview of the autonomic nervous system. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/autonomic-nervous-system/overview-of-the-autonomic-nervous-system. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Philips JC, et al. Squatting, a posture test for studying cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in diabetes. Diabetes & Metabolism. 2011;37:489.
- Bethanechol (prescribing information). Pomona, N.Y.: Barr Laboratories, Inc.; 2007. http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=80ee6156-18b8-45aa-9402-b40647173da8. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Detrol (prescribing information). New York, N.Y.: Pharmacia and Upjohn; 2012. http://labeling.pfizer.com/ShowLabeling.aspx?id=719. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Ditropan (prescribing information). Raritan, N.J.: Ortho McNeil Pharmaceuticals; 2011. http://www.janssenpharmaceuticalsinc.com/assets/ditropanxl.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Hirsch M, et al. Tricyclic and tetracyclic drugs: Pharmacology, administration, and side effects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Robinul and Robinul Forte (prescribing information). Atlanta, Ga.: Shionogi Pharma, Inc.; 2010. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/017558s053lbl.pdf. Accessed May 4, 2015.
- Shakher J, et al. Update on the management of diabetic polyneuropathies. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy. 2011;4:289.
- Wang CP, et al. A single-blinded, randomized pilot study evaluating effects of electroacupuncture in diabetic patients with symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2008;7:833.
- Feldman, EL, et al. Treatment of diabetic neuropathy. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Rutkove SB. Overview of polyneuropathy. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Olshansky B. Upright tilt table testing in the evaluation of syncope. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 30, 2015.
- Tesfaye S. Neuropathy in diabetes. Medicine. 2015;43:26. Accessed May 13, 2015.
- Coon E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 14, 2015.