Signs and symptoms of autoimmune hepatitis can range from minor to severe and may come on suddenly or develop over time. Some people have few, if any, recognized problems in the early stages of the disease, whereas others experience signs and symptoms that may include:
- Abdominal discomfort
- Joint pain
- Itching (pruritus)
- Yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice)
- An enlarged liver
- Abnormal blood vessels on the skin (spider angiomas)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Skin rashes
- Dark-colored urine
- In women, loss of menstruation
When to see a doctor
Apr. 18, 2012
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any signs or symptoms that worry you.
- Czaja AJ, et al. Advances in the diagnosis, pathogenesis, and management of autoimmune hepatitis. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:58.
- Krawitt EL. Pathogenesis of autoimmune hepatitis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- Manns MP, et al. Diagnosis and management of autoimmune hepatitis. Hepatology. 2010;51:1.
- Autoimmune hepatitis. National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/autoimmunehep/. Accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Feb. 16, 2012.
- Luxon BA. Diagnosis and treatment of autoimmune hepatitis. Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2008;37:461.
- Mieli-Vergani G, et al. Autoimmune hepatitis. Nature Reviews. Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2011;8:320.
- Greenberger NJ, et al, eds. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Gastroenterology, Hepatology, & Endoscopy. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6204532. Accessed Feb. 16, 2012.
- Teufel A, et al. Concurrent autoimmune diseases in patients with autoimmune hepatitis. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 2010;44:208.